Choose the type of information you seek
- Merger Control Regime
- Merger Screening
1.1 Membership of Supranational Organization
1.1.1 Is the jurisdiction a member of/party to a supranational jurisdiction?
1.1.2 Is the jurisdiction itself a supranational jurisdiction?
1.1.3 If the answer to Section 1.1.1 and/or 1.1.2 above is in the affirmative, what are the implications hereof?
As a member of the EU, Latvia is subject to the supranational authority of the EU, including EU merger control rules enforced by the Directorate General for Competition of the European Commission.
This means that if the concentration meets the turnover thresholds applicable for the EU’s merger control regime, the concentration must be notified to the European Commission and Latvia is precluded from applying its own domestic merger control rules to the transaction.
2. Establishing jurisdiction for notification of mergers
2.3 General thresholds
Merger control filing is required when:
- the combined aggregate turnover of the undertakings concerned is at least EUR 30,000,000 in Latvia; and
- the turnover of each of at least two of the undertakings concerned is EUR 1,500,000 in Latvia.
The competition authorities may review a transaction on their own initiative if:
- at least two of the undertakings concerned are active in the same market with a combined market share of 40%; and
- there is a “reasonable suspicion” that the concentration creates or strengthens a dominant position or significantly lessens competition in the market; and
- the concentration has an effect on competition in Latvia.
In order to pre-empt post-merger control, the parties may opt to voluntarily file the transaction.
2.4 Other national thresholds for ex ante merger control (e.g. sector-specific rules)
and last updated on 08-04-2020 by
Legal Cross Border has itself provided all input about merger control in Latvia. This information has been gathered and validated by our in-house lawyers to guarantee the highest quality outcome. This said, we are currently looking for a local partner to cover Merger Control Latvia - please contact us if you would like to be our new partner.